Thursday, April 15, 2010

Makes you fall, do silly things

So I did genuinely mean for my previous post to be my last one for a while, but I had such a serendipitous experience, I really just had to share the story of how I found this gorgeous book:
After I finished blogging I decided to take the Metro down to the Cycladic Museum to see that erotic art and Eros exhibit (like I said).  I got there, bought my ticket and started furiously jotting notes from the introduction wall about Eros and it's many definitions, etc.  As I'm writing, Bob and Andrew, my faculty, came up behind me, muttering to themselves, very confused.  After asking a few curators, it seems the exhibit ended about a week ago, and one statue and this wall was all that was left :( I started browsing around the main store and they had one book on display, the one pictured above, except it was in Greek.  I asked the lady if they had one in English and she said to go downstairs to the bookstore.

I walk down and there and to my right I see exactly what I want, and as I'm pulling it off the shelf, I fumble and about eight of these two-pound books come tumbling down onto my head.  My eyes squeeze shut, my water bottle drops on the polished wood floor with a big echoing clank and I let out a big, embarrassed "Oh!" The young cashier, looking so put together in her black three-piece suit rushes over, asking if I'm okay, gathering up the books, apologizing and wondering aloud how this could have possibly happened.  In the meantime another curator rushes downstairs to investigate and also begins apologizing and asking if I'm okay.  We laugh and exchange apologies, and the curator Greeks with the cashier while she's ringing me up.  "In Greece, we have saying," she says to me, "when seeing love, for first time," tapping herself on the forehead, "hits you on head, with force, makes you fall, do silly things."

They were so nice.  I will have to go back and thank them again, hopefully get that phrase from her, use it in my presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment