Thursday, April 15, 2010

Last Day in Athens for a while

Well haven't updated in a bit.  Mostly because I have been so unbelievably busy.  In these few days, I visitied the Acropolis and visited the Parthenon.  I visited the Acropolis Museum, and hiked Mt. Lyccabetus.  Here are a few tidbits:
Breakfast in the morning.  Best breakfast I've ever had - ever.  Nothing cooked, everything fresh.  Greek yogurt and honey.  Sandwiches made of rolls, salami, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers.  Olives and feta (which I'm kind of over by now).  Guava juice.  Tea and a cigarette.  The best way to starts a day. Ever.






Snapped this right inside the Metro (subwat system here).  It's a picture of what they discovered when they began construction.  The quality of the pic isn't great, but the corridors were literally covered with pottery and artifacts everywhere.  I didn't snap any pictures of it, but they also have at each underground station artifacts on display where they were discovered.  There's graves, sculptures, pottery, everything you can think of.



Typically, there are stray dogs everywhere.  They're super tame and friendly and most of them have collars and are regularly fed, either by tourists or locals, but at most historic sights they aren't allowed. This one managed to sneak in, and is alive, I promise, just napping.












Snapped at the Acropolis.  So that mound in the background, yeah, I hiked that, Mt. Lycabettus. As in, walked down the Acropolis, across the city, and up that freakin' mountain.  More on that later...









This is the opposite view of the Acropolis from the top of Mt. Lycabettus, elevation a little over 900 feet above sea level.  Ran out of water halfway through the hike because my stupid water bottle leaked all over the inside of my bag.  I have officially decided to stop smoking. Not right now.  But soon.







Kayla pretending to beg at the top of Mt. Lycabettus.  












Flowers + view from Mt. Lycabettus











Exhausted.  Sunburned.  Dehydrated.  Pulling it off pretty well.











Snapped earlier today just outside of the Acropolis Museum.  Under the Museum are active excavations going on, and the Museum is designed so that you can see them, in all the different stages of maintenance and uncovering.  Some of the sites are from over 2,000 years ago.




Lastly, here are some of my sketches.  I'm still rusty, but in many museums you can't bring your camera in.  And actually, I prefer to sketch them because you create relationships with the things you're viewing in a way that just snapping a picture really doesn't duplicate.  The one on the right is Afroditi from the West Pediment in the Acropolis Museum, and the other is a column from the Parthenon.

Well that's about it.  I'm done with my coffee and I've got about three hours to go to the Cycladic Museum.  There's an exhibit on erotic art and eros I really want to check out for my project before we catch our ferry to Crete tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment