Sunday, May 9, 2010

Heart of Florence

So still haven't found a good time to upload pictures.  I don't have an Italian outlet converter and internet is scarce, unless I'm at SACI (the school we are hooked up with), which has odd hours, so I'm very much at the mercy of roommates and internet cafes, so I will do my best to recap:


Just bought my tickets to/from London from May 13 - May 18. New volcanic activity may or may not hinder my travel plans.  I'll find out sooner or laterHave yet to make hostel reservations, but plan on making RSVPs tomorrow when SACI is open and I have time to browse.


My flat is about six blocks from the Santa Maria Novella train station, and a 15 minute walk to all the Renaissance art I can manage.  It's what one would imagine a European apartment to look like, as Kayla mentioned in her Facebook post, with green shutters, dark wood floors and clothes linesWe live above an autopart shop, that has a Doberman and forty or so vespas in the courtyard below our porch.  The sidewalks are much smaller, barely enough room to pause on the street and smokeDown to less than half a pack a day, thanks to Kayla's competitive spirit and desire to smoke lessLots of large dogs, lots of Great Danes, actuallyLots of English-speaking touristsOne of out every three pedestrians holds a map, looking confused and lost.  The streets are small, almost exclusively one-way and never perpendicular.  Michaelangelo's David is HUGEArmenians own many of the outdoor street kiosks, selling hundreds of leather jackets and Indian scarvesOf course, this is the heart of Florence, and much different when you cross the river, which is where I plan to go after this post.  This is the first 12 hours that haven't been accompanied by a downpour.  Do some sketching, do some grocery shopping. Read for class.


I'm off!

1 comment:

  1. I have an international power converter gathering dust. Knew I forgot to give you something before you left...

    ReplyDelete